Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fractured and Exhausted

Funny Kid Comment of the Week - 
"I don't get paid until Tuesday? That's not fair! I've done all my jobs!" says Orion. I reply, "I don't remember the last time I got paid for doing your laundry". His reply, "That's because that isn't a real job!" He now owes me $30 for doing his laundry this month! What a stinker!

 Last Tuesday we discovered our 7 month old Faith fractured her skull during a fall that weekend. She was fine after the fall, none of the tell tale signs they say to look for if there is brain damage, concussion, etc. So we didn't worry much until we noticed she had a giant, not regular size, GIANT knot on the side of her head. The doc checked her out, ordered x-rays, and gave us the news. Then he asks they we take her to a specialist to confirm we need to do nothing else and just let her heal. They schedule the appointment for the following Tuesday. One week after we find out about her initial injury.

What are we supposed to do in the meantime? "It would be good if she didn't hit her head in the same spot again." Ok. A very active 7 month old just learning to crawl and pull her self up on furniture is supposed to not hit her head again for a week. That should be easy right? NOT AT ALL! I am so far beyond exhausted at this point, 5 days later. I never realized how many times babies fall at this stage until I tried making sure it doesn't happen. Helmet? yes, we need a helmet. Padded room? yes, that too. And Momma? She needs an EMT standing by for when her heart attack or seizure finally occurs.

I don't think I realized until this week that I handle things much differently than I did years ago. I used to get chest pains when I was younger related to stress but haven't in years though much remains the same. We have the usual stressors - money, kids acting up for a day- but this is a new level of stress, accompanied by the return of chest pains and gritting my teeth....awake. I think the last two days the adrenaline in my body has finally been completely drained and the plea for sleep came in it's place. But sleep...psht...that would be too easy.

The same little baby came down with a runny nose yesterday, slept most of the day (as long as I was holding her anyway), then spiked a fever last night and was up all night. I am so glad Dad is off the next two days. It has been an insanely long, strenuous, exhausting, emotional, trying week. I am definitely ready to hand over the reins for a two hour nap! And the specialist appointment? I was relieved it was schedule a week later because I thought "that means it's nothing urgent, Yay" Which is still true, but it hasn't made the anticipation go away. If they ever try to make me wait a week again (which hopefully will be completely unnecessary because no one here will ever again need a specialist)  I do believe I will throw a fit! Or at least buy a helmet, pad a room and find an off duty EMT to remain on call. It would sooooo be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Just an update. Her bump completely disappeared the day after her cold, the Specialist says her head would have been 99% its normal strength the day after the fall and should now be 100% so no real worry about my adventurer bumping her noggin.