Sunday, February 26, 2012

Do What You Say You are Going To Do



Edit
 | Settings | Delete
The other Orion was trying to play hide and seek with Grace.....just to get her to hide so he could sneak next door for an outing with Grandpa. She is only two but she would have for sure realized he didn't come looking for her like he said he was going to do. I tried to make it clear that you have to do what you say you are going to do because that is how people learn to trust you. Crazy yet very creative kid he is. Another problem we have with him is his "forgetting". Every time he doesn't do what he is supposed to or tells a lie his excuse is "I forgot". A perfect excuse for some things...but you can only forget what you did two seconds ago so many times.

The very next day after the hide and seek incident we were getting ready to do school. We hand out tickets at the end of the week for all the chores that were completed and I give Orion an extra few if he has mastered a new skill with his school work. We have a box full of miscellaneous toys and pencils, stickers and whatnot's that are priced by tickets for them to choose from. I told him we would do them after school when he asked ahead of time. We did school then went about our day. Not only did I forget, I didn't do what I said I would do. A DOUBLE WHAMMY!

I've always known they learn from watching and not hearing. What I do not realize is how often I display the behavior I attempt to correct in them. "Do as I say and not as I do" is NOT the kind of mom I want to be. I wonder now if many of the times he has said "I forgot" is because of how often he has heard me say it.  I stay pretty busy but I say that way too often. I forget to do what I say I'm going to do. Now the sad part is that he says "I forgot" when he lies about something. Does he think I'm lying about the things I say I forgot? He obviously thinks it's a good enough excuse for Momma it should be a good excuse for him too. I am not sure how to correct this issue in myself.

I have started asking him to remind me, which I suppose is a start. I've also started using the phrase "we'll see" rather than "later". That way I'm not saying yes or no and can make up my mind when the right time arises. Right? I Don't know what the best way to handle this situation is. I know one thing though....I need to do what I say I'm gonna do.

No comments:

Post a Comment